7 Things You Don’t Know About Me

I’ve been tagged. How pathetic is to be asked to be tagged? Oh well…thanks Carol Broos for passing this on. 

Teaching is a second career for me. I have an associates degree from a trade school in fashion merchandising. I worked for Marshall Field’s (now Macy’s) for 10 years, working my way up from stock person to the buying office. (I bought stationary, greeting cards, and flowers). My last position was in 1990 was in a newly created IT department, training buyers on a system of automating purchase orders. I hated it. I swore I would never work with computers for as long as I live.

I am an only child. My mom was an only child, and so was my dad. Even though I did not grow up with influences of siblings or even first cousins, my maternal grandmother had 4 brothers and sisters whom she was extremely close. I grew up with the love of many aunts and uncles. I saw all of them every Saturday night when they came to our house for a weekly poker game.

When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a dancer. I took ballet, tap, and jazz dance lessons from age 3 until after high school. In fact, I was registered to go to Columbia Collage of Performing Arts right after high school. My life got side tracked when my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer. I still love to dance, although I’m pretty out of shape, but as soon as they come up with Dancing with the MIddle Aged Teachers, I’m there!

When I was 24, I was in a serious car accident. I was hit head on by a drunk driver. My leg was broken in 3 places and I had surgery to repair it with a rod, pins, and plates. To this day, I suffer the affects with arthritis in my joints in my right leg.

I married my high school sweetheart. I met my husband Jeff when I was 15. My friend’s boyfriend fixed us up because Jeff had a car and would have been able to drive on double dates. That other couple broke up a couple weeks later. We got married after dating for 9 years, and have been married for 22 years.

I love dogs. I grew up with a german shepherd named Kim. After Kim, when I was a teenager, I had a schnauzer named Max. My husband is not a dog person, but after 20 years, we finally got a dog. Her name is Tillie and she is the coolest golden doodle dog ever!

My dream job would be as a college professor. I didn’t get my college degree in elementary education until I was in my mid 30’s and I think that because of that, I have an enormous passion for learning and a great deal of empathy for learners. Even then, I knew at that time that someday, I would be a professor. I have a great deal to learn before I can do that though. My shorter terms goals are to someday be a school principal.

So there you have it….a few things about me. It’s been really fun learning about all of us. Check out this wiki to find out about others in our PLN. I’m afraid that I’m running out of people to tag. How about Ken Shelton, Mrs. Durff, Pam Eder,  Julie Squires, and Shannon Smith. If you’ve been tagged already, pass it on.